A world without workflow automation to carry out pre-programmed instructions, or artificial intelligence (AI) designed to simulate human thinking, is almost impossible to imagine. They transcend so many aspects of our daily personal activities, that we readily embrace new technology that can make our lives a little easier. And with machine learning, workflow software gets better and better at predicting human behavior, for example, suggestions for finishing whole sentences as you type.
Why is it, then, that deploying workflow automation or AI in the workplace can feel more of a threat than an opportunity? In business, the most valuable asset of any organization is data, and when it comes to collecting, processing, sharing and storing data, incorporating automation as part of a digital transformation strategy can transform enterprises and power productivity. Here’s how:
- Manage Data at Speed: handling exponentially increasing volumes of data at speed, is where workflow automation can supplement the work performed by humans, freeing up valuable time for innovation and creativity to gain a competitive advantage. And for document processing, machine learning can be leveraged in processes which involve analyzing vast volumes of structured and unstructured data.
- Boost Efficiency & Productivity: automating tedious or repetitive tasks rudimentary or time-consuming manual processes helps generate time and cost savings, while allowing humans to maximize added value. And with advancements in machine learning and AI, more complex tasks can also be automated.
- Enable Data Analytics: automating predictive, descriptive, diagnostic, and prescriptive data analytics provides actionable insights empowering business decisions.
Human in the Loop
Building solutions that leverage automation, but one that ensures enough opportunities for humans to interact and influence its direction, helps bridge workflow gaps that can only be partially automated – known as ‘human in the loop’. Even as machines gradually encroach more into our working lives, humans will always be in the loop because we possess fundamental reasoning skills, being able to imagine ‘what if’ scenarios and prompt ‘why’ questions. While AI can help us arrive at answers to these questions, it ultimately depends upon the data that humans provide.
The challenge of implementing an amalgamated workflow is in the creation of a seamless interface between man and machine. For maximum user engagement and interactivity, this interface is pivotal to successful process automation.
Examples of how SourceFuse incorporates automation and AI into custom app development, include:
- SF Medic: AI-enabled, HIPAA compliant, telemedicine application development; perfect for doctors on the move, or for patients that require automated translation or live in remote or 2G areas. Learn more about SF Medic
- helloMD.online: customized telehealth solution that seamlessly integrates and automatically syncs with EMR / EHR platforms, plus provides secure end-to-end integration with e-prescription modules. Learn more about helloMD.online
- FinTech Custom App Development: integrating the ‘human in the loop’ model, where automated document management and continuous machine learning reduced post-closing audit times by 70% and TCO by 50%. Read the full case story here
In business, the vastly changed digital landscape has not equated to a reduction in employees. Instead, digital transformation has supported the development of new roles and professions, new expertise and skills, and freed up time for innovation and creativity by taking care of manual, repetitive tasks. In fact, Deloitte reports 71% of organizations that are already scaling and implementing intelligent automation, have a clear vision and ambition for intelligent automation.
With human brains possessing approximately 86 billions neurons, and an estimated 100 trillion connections, even neuroscientists admit we have a long way to go to solve the mysteries of the brain. So, it stands to reason that machines also have a long way to go to perfectly mimic human instincts, emotions and intuition that truly drives innovative breakthroughs.
As we move forward, AI elements will be the norm for intelligent, data-driven, continuously improving business applications, adding true value when used in conjunction with human centric services.
Learn more about the power of digitally transforming your business with SourceFuse.
*First appeared in CXOToday 2021